Skip to main content

April 13, BumCut!

At 8:23 central daylight you sent the following text message: BumCut!

Jon Gray and the Rockies play Madison Bumgarner and the Giants at AT&T Park in San Francisco at 21:15 central daylight.  I'm probably going to have to pull a LaZarus if I'm going to catch any of that one.

But fear not, rest, and godspeed ye merry gentle-folk because the baseball Gaia have cooked up one sumptuously crafted architect-approved smorgas-bridge of baseball for your hungry hearts today.  Lo these start times (all central daylight): 12:10; 13:05; 13:20; 14:37; 17:10; 18:05.  Betsy Ross couldn't have sewn a better-looking lineup than that.  Of course it's the Tigers starting first.  And how about that 14:37 start in...Anaheim.  BiZarre, but good biZarre.  Baseball baZaar!

My approach to this year's action has been a little different, perhaps because I am down to one fantasy team.  For instance, I had no idea Céspedes had hit three homers Wednesday until late Thursday.  I am not devouring box scores.  I am trying a one-game-at-a-time approach.  I haven't looked at standings.  I caught wind of who led the batting race only incidentally.  Maybe this has been more your approach since eschewing fantasy baseball.  I have also had "a lot going on" with the race (and The Masters) last weekend; Monday night I started packing for an overnight hike planned for tomorrow; Tuesday night I drank; last night I was back to packing, doing a dry run, and also sober.  Today will be an admixture of all of those states.  Tomorrow night, in the Ozark wilderness, I'll get only what I can on the AM dial.  Looking at tomorrow's schedule there is a 13:00 Cubs game and a 15:00 Nats game...!!...I will regret missing those Randallesque starts.  Crads at 18:00 from NYY.  The Reds signal is strong but they start at 18:00.  Royals 19:15.  Rockies 21:15 from San Fran, on KOA out of Denver, could be.  Then there's the St. Louis Blues, who I believe play on Friday night, but they won't be on KMOX because of baseball.

The day's first game has begun; DoZier has taken a bag.

Miggy has hit his first home run of 2017.

I come back from a meeting and the Twins are up 3-2!

I say this with exclamation because Jordan Zimmermann had been humming along.  Now here in the fourth he has walked three batters this inning alone.  Anibal is warming.  Buxton battling... 1-2 count, fastball high.  Swing and miss and the inning is over.

Ausmus came and got J-Zim, who had walked his fifth out of the last ten batters.  Then Max Kepler, the German, launched a three run-bomb, making it 6-2.  Zimmermann had never previously walked more than four batters in a game.  Something is amiss with him, all of a sudden, again.

(Multiple hours have elapsed.)

As the Rangers pummel the Angels 8-0, a new game is born in Ohio—Cleveland, Ohio to be exact—and Josh Tomlin is already in trouble.  Tim Anderson hit a leadoff homer and Melky followed that with a single.  I realize the Angels are off to a "good start" but this display today in an SOS.  Ricky Nolasco was bombed and left out to clean up his own mess because the Halos have already overused their bullpen.  Daniel Wright is eating innings and now someone, a reliever named J.C. Ramirez has the starter's role tomorrow.  Mayday, Mayday.

I just texted you about two more Céspedes homers.  We were watching Toronto, where Baltimore led 2-0.  Donaldson left that game with the recurring calf problem, and the TOR broadcast referenced the two more Céspedes homers so I switched over.  I haven't seen the Mets bat yet but unless I am mistaken they've not yet been the 'Cut.  Chicks might dig the long ball, Ray, but you like Cy Youngs.  Madison could get his this year, he is somewhat overlooked.  There will be no Cy Youngs awarded to anyone pitching in this game, 8-7 MIA  over NYM.  Robert Gsellman got gazelle-horn rammed by the Miami bats.  It's Rafael Montero now.

I am, by the way, writing now with a .5 caliber pen whereas most of the writing, black and blue, so far has been at the 'ultra fine' .38.  I feel less prone to mistakes so far with the .5.  Maybe I have gotten too fine.  Or, I have been self-scoring the experiment as I write a la Heisenberg i.e. placebo ... Miguel Rojas with his second hit of the night.  I'll stick with this game until Yoenis C bats but this Marlins Park is soporific.

Dee Gordon is up.  His numbers don't look too good thus far.  He gets a hit, back up the middle.  A.J. Ellis, now a Marlin, still can't hit.  Yelich.  I can't recall him gracing these pages.  Two on, two out.  Did you see footage of the cat in Marlins Park slinking along the wall during a game this week?  There was a poll of what name should the cat have, four choices.  1) J.T. Real-meow-to.  2) Don Cattingly.  Then two others I forget.  Yelich fans.  Twitter proffered José Purr-nandez, which I like.  Then B says something tonight to me about ... I guess she was just talking about reincarnation generally, said something about humans coming back as animals and whether or not it was a sign.  This cat scaled a part of the wall where a video pink neon T Mobile ad was playing behind it.  The Marlins broadcast said something like, "Look at the cat.  Terrific action from the cat."  I had to laugh out loud.  Cespédes on deck.  I guessed on that accent. [Ed. note: incorrectly...]   I've been trying to look them up and get them right but I don't want to be dependent on the device either.  I am almost halfway through this 'Skine.  I saw footage now of the Cespédes homers: they are special, golf shots.  My pace has slown and there will be upcoming days I write nada, I am not taking this on my hike; my writing at Farm will be limited but I'll probably bring this, write if listening to ball sitting out in front there, looking out at Missouri.

The strings of the glove don't count.  I believe Cespédes out at home.  Yeah, call overturned, very close.  Marlins still, 8-7.  I poured another drink.  The 'Cut is still another half-hour away.  I'm givin' her all she's got, Cap'n.  Britton trying to close it out.  One out, Tulo on at first.  Walk.  Britton buries one, it caroms out, Castillo can't corral it.  Second, third, one down.  Rogers Center abuZz, Britton has a 52-consecutive save streak.  Pillar.  6-3 on an infield in, no one else moves.  Steve Pearce.  A ball.  A tapper, foul.  Another one buried, corralled this time.   8 and the ballgame.  Toronto is 1-8.



Comments