Skip to main content

May 15, Cleveland HotCut.

You got me the goods at 9:15 central daylight:  Cleveland HotCut.  It's Chris Archer for Tampa taking on Cleveland and Carlos Carrasco at what's surprisingly one of the older stadiums in baseball.  It used to be called Jacobs Field.  Archer has walked his fourth man.  Cleveland broadcast says he doesn't have his slider today.  It's 5-2 Cleveland, bottom 2, no one out.  Lindor.  An oh-one offering is bounced in.  He fans Lindor on what Tom Hamilton can't discern as a changeup or a slider.  Brantley, who turns 30 today.  Archer's got him nothing-and-two.  Kipnis steals second, Norris clanks the throw off the second base bag, E-2, Almonte strolls home on the errant throw.  Now Norris gets crossed up, passed ball, Lindor to third.  "If your catcher can't catch it you're probably not going to get the call."  Brantley whiffs at Archer's best slider of the night, K.  We have dinner plans, so I must pull the plug on this precocious 'Cut, alas.  This game is almost an hour old and not yet in the third.  "Archer could not work any slower."  4-3, end of 2, but Archer is at 47 pitches through two innings.

We are back from dinner down along Delmar.  I have Mets @ Diamondbacks, bottom four.  I am sitting at my desk, listening—as opposed to being in front of the television, slumped in that grey chair with this journal in my lap.  Bruce runs down a Tomás fly.  Candiotti says, "He just missed it."

Conforto struck out but Mathis didn't catch it clean and Conforto made it to first.  Candiotti said, "How many times have we seen that this year?"  It's a K but it's also an E-2 with the batter reaching first.  In some data set somewhere lay the answer.  Is the batter reaching first despite striking out more prevalent in 2017?  I know we saw one at Cubs - Cards on Saturday.  And I know I've remarked or passed along the remarks about a possible increase in catcher's interference this year. There was another such incident last night in Sunday Night Baseball.  Gary Sánchez was the interferor.  Could the two be linked?

Who knows.  All I can do is build a circumstantial case, by way of observation and notation.  The season is about one-quarter of the way complete.  That feels fast, scary.  I am missing too much of it.  I have an instinct kicking in that tells me I need to clutch at the action and pin it down or else it is going to float away—or maybe just disintegrate in my hands.  Games, games, games.  Bright side, Johnny:  there is one and maybe you can gain its visage.  Braves at Blue Jays tomorrow, 15:07 central.  Starlight, starbright, I will follow that game with all my might.  Owings rips a single to left.  Goldschmidt now, he of the 150 career homers.  Since he arrived in The Show in 2011 he trails only two other players in homers, per KMVP:  Giancarlo Stanton and Jay Bruce.  Can that be right?  Maybe that is NL only.  Because it excludes Miggy, Edwin, That Chris Davis, and Nelson Cruz.  Papi, too.

Lamb's eighth home run of the season ties this game at one.  This broadcast is no-nonsense.  No sideshow, no namedropping, no giggles.  They are maintaining a brisk out-of-town scoreboard, too.  There are promotions for upcoming Snakes games but otherwise there are no in-game adverts that I can recall.  Wheeler hits the 101-pitch mark with two out in the top of the sixth.  He fans Ahmed, to the seventh, tied at one.




Comments