Skip to main content

May 5, MileHighHotCut.

There is once again no HotCut.  I was in contact with you—you said you were overwhelmed with a new promotion at work and also that you were feeling down in the wake of you grandpa Heiman's passing.  If there was to be a 'Cut it would probably be the game going right now on a chilly North Side of Chicago:  Yanks at Cubs.  I tuned in a little late and missed the game's one run so far: a Kris Bryant home run off of Michael Pineda.

The Yankees had men on in the top half of this 6th inning but couldn't scratch.  Now Schwarber loses one.  " Boy, this thing turned around quickly," says John Sterling.

Post-script.  At 16:09 central daylight the 'Cut was reborn:  MileHighHotCut.  B and I were pulled over in North County in a Steak-n-Shake parking lot.  I was flummoxed by Friday traffic and a camp plan endangered by flood waters.  I couldn't tell if the route I wanted to take was open, I hadn't done my due diligence.  We took a roundabout, bypassing Alton, using 255 to get all the way to Godfrey.  But the HotCut was back so I had that feather in my cap.  At 21:53 I texted you:

HotCut in the night.
We've got it on 850 AM
after schooing away
raccoons and a fox that
we thought at first was an
albino raccoon.

I don't remember any of what I heard on 850 except to say it came in rather clearly, considering it had crossed part of Colorado and all of both Kansas and Missouri to get to us.  KOA, one of the few remaining AM behemoths, along with WLW and KMOX.  Alas, WGN no longer carries Cubs baseball.

Waking Saturday I found on my phone several texts you sent me while I was at Farm that I didn't get then, that had been preserved in the amber limbo that is the text-o-sphere.  From April 21 at 19:33 central daylight: Another HarperHomer.  Then at 23:04:  Latos is still in the league!

But there were also a handful of contemporaneous texts spanning last evening and into very early this morning.

At 22:52:

Votto went 0-1 with 4 walks and two runs.  And a RBI.  Ha!


At 22:53:

Zim hit his 12th


Then at :06 this morning:  I was checking out Beltrán's numbers and realiZed that it has been 13 years since he played in KC!




Comments