Skip to main content

July 28, CrewCut.

There weren't any afternoon games on today's slate but I did get a text about baseball at 13:31 central daylight:  BrewCrew HotCut.

I am at my parents' place watching the Diamondbacks visiting the Cardinals.  My uncle is here watching the game, too.  It's 1-0 St Louis, bottom eight—end of eight.  Trevor Rosenthal will reprise his eighth inning role of flawless out-getter.  Cecil had put a couple of men on but Rosenthal fanned Pollock; got Peralta 4-2; then fanned Goldschmidt on an unchecked swing after a pretty bad ball-strike call on a pitch that went as strike two.

Earlier in the game Luke Voit sent a screamer right back at Robbie Ray, who took the liner clean off the side of his head.  ScuZzer caught the ball at third before it landed, retiring Voit 1-5.  But Ray was hurt, bleeding, writhing.  It was scary and the replay was sickening.  Rosenthal throws a ball past Lamb at 101 m.p.h. and this game is over.  He went two innings and struck out four for his first-ever six-out save.

I am without the Roku here.  I was able to watch a Cardinals game for a change, which was nice, but what now?  Can I find another game on the cable?  MLB Network had the 'Cut but that game is over.  I fear my baseball TV creek is run dry for the night.

Check that, and thanks to the MLB Network.  Giants at Dodgers is on the air.  It's 2-1 Dodgers bottom six.  Bellinger, 9.

Only a few minutes later it is 4-2 Giants.  Alex Wood has been gotten to, most recently allowing a Gorkys Hernandez double that Joc Pederson looked bad on.  Matt Moore bats for himself.  Posey had singled.  Jae Gyun Hwang had reached base somehow, then Nick Hundley doubled.  On his 99th pitch Wood gets a groundout and he's through seven but he is on the hook for a loss.

My uncle asked me if I watch any of the late shows.  "No," I said, "it's either baseball or nothing."  During baseball season anyway.  He went to bed but I'm pressing on.  There are a few minor trades scrolling along the bottom of the screen.  Kendrick to Washington; Hellickson to Baltimore; AJ Ramos to the Mets.  The Ramos trade mystifies me.  Is it part of a three-way trade?  Is Addison Reed to be dealt?  Perhaps Ramos didn't cost much and the Mets made the best offer.  Hyun Soo Kim goes to Philly in the Hellickson deal.  Maybe Philly will pencil him in and let him hit.  Pederson rips a ball over the second baseman and into the gap for a double.  Bottom seven, Dodgers threatening, Puig up.

The Dodgers have gotten all of those runs back, and more.  Corey Seager just took Osich deep, putting LA ahead 6-4.  Justin Turner goes the other way, slicing a liner to right.  He has been passed by Altuve in the overall batting race.  Bellinger cracks one to left but it's a warning-track shot, 7.

I'm fading though.

I'm in bed upstairs, three minutes to midnight.  This was my brother's room.  Then we did a room switch for a couple of years so it was my room until I had regrets or got bored and we switched back.  Mets at Mariners, where Conforto has hit his second homer of the night.  My eyes are Droopy the Dog.





Comments