Skip to main content

September 8, BeanTown HotCut: Let's Just Take Uber.

I have been typing off and on for seven hours.  The only words now of this season's long baseball journaling endeavor that I have yet to type up are these fresh-ink lines in my very recent wake.  I am going to the Cardinals game tonight.  I won't see or hear any of the Rays and Archer at Pomeranz and the Red Sox.

Tomorrow we leave for Wisconsin and Michigan.  I hope to listen to plenty of baseball and to write at least a little as I look out at all the water.

Luxury Suite 61

Third base side.  Shrimp, sandies and Woodford Reserve—yowZa.  Beautiful night for a ballgame.  I picked up this pen when someone dropped it on the ground.  I have donned the giveaway green jersey.

Man on First

Josh Bell batting from the left side.  He gets out, somehow.  That happened fast.  End of one inning.

On to stage come Trevor Williams and His Rag Tag Band

I've been talking about this guy for almost three months—it's neat that he's on the mound tonight.  Marp, back from wherever he went and playing third tonight, walks.  Piscotty goes 1-4-3 double play.  Tonight is also Pham's return.  High, striped socks.  Pham, K.

The Game is Right in Front of Me

Freese, K.  Elias Díaz singles up the middle.  Luplow is on second, I'm not sure how he even got on base.  The game is right in front of me.  5-4-3, and just like that the threat, the inning is over.  Marp is playing third tonight, just like old times.  Mid two, there is no score.

Here's Jose Martinez.  He cracks one to third but Freese snares it.  Yadi now, the loudest hand yet, .745 OPS.  He gets air under it but it goes not far enough, 8, to 'Cutch.  Matheny gives Grichuk a look tonight.  Grichuk strikes out in the blink of my eye.

St. Louis Takes the Lead

Moroff looking ends the top of the third.  This game is flying.  Here's Greg Garcia in the eight hole to start the last of the third.  Double.  Alex Mejia got Garcia to third, whether on a fielder's choice or a straight-up sacrifice I do not know.

Weaver gets sawed off, Garcia goes on contact, he leaps across the plate, head first.  St Louis has the lead.  A little later, Molina nabs Josh Bell in the act of stealing to end the top half of the fourth.  The Pirates record four hits through the first four innings but no runs.  They haven't gotten a man so far as third base.

He of The Rag Tag Band

Trevor Williams is pretty sharp tonight.  The count runneth full to Tommy Pham on Williams's 36th pitch.  Pham walks.  Here's J-Mart.  Martinez singles, Pham to third.  First-and-third, no outs for Molina.  The Rag Tag Band has missed a few notes.  2-and-2 to Molina.  He whiffs and goes with an axe chop into the ground with his bat.

"I think Randal's due for a hit," says a guy in our booth.

He doesn't know that's my name.  B laughs.  The Cardinals get a second run.  I don't know how—conversation.  Through four innings, it's 2-0 STL.

The Box Gets Loud

Weaver fans Luplow, his sixth strikeout.  Williams will bat for himself here in the fifth.  Weaver had Mercer at 1-and-2 but Mercer singled down the first-base line.

It's a pretty good crowd here.  It's not full but it's relatively full.  Piscotty fans.  Bases loaded now, the box is getting loud.  Jose Martinez singles.  He's good—he really is!  Some part of that play is under review.  It's funny how I'm at this game and more clueless than usual.  As it stands, the Crads lead 4-0.  Trevor Williams and His Rag Tag Band are being shown off the stage.  The Woodford is kicked.  I had one pour.  "We're no dummies."  Yadi to the track, 9.

As I entered the stadium tonight I put my keys in the little plastic bowl that an attendant slides aside the metal detector as you go through it.  The attendant looked at me and said, "Cell phone?"  I shook my head.  "Good for you," he said.  And I did feel good.  Top 6, Marte bats.

Bowman On, Top Six

Weaver went five and two-thirds.  Freese is in the hole.  Freese, K.  There is no last call in this booth, folks.  I'll leave when the Uber is called.  The weather could not be better.  Pittsburgh has outhit St Louis 7-4 but it ain't the hits that counts.  Here's Grichuk.  Grichuk, 8.  Mejia, looking.  He is at short tonight.  I saw him at third this weekend.

Juan Nicasio, Cardinals Debut

Freese bats.  I try to explain Nicasio's history to B.  The moon hangs over the scoreboard.  It's 4-1 St Louis, top 8.  Nicasio 1-3 to end the inning.  He gets an ass slap.  That was awesome.




Comments